MS255 – Pet Obesity – Understanding the epidemic and how to prevent and treat obesity (Nurses)
Join European and RCVS Specialist in small animal internal medicine Eleanor Raffan for three 2-hour sessions. Includes 12 months access to all of your course materials.
Obesity is a major health and welfare issue with about 2/3 of dogs and nearly as many cats overweight. Affected animals have a range of health problems, die sooner and have worse quality of life. But despite professional concern, the problem is getting worse. This course will address obesity ‘in the round’. In session 1 I will outline new evidence on the causes and consequences of obesity and why that matters. Session two will focus on human behaviour, summarising how we can use an evidence based approach to promote humans to change habits that contribute to their pets’ weight gain. The final session will focus on the practicalities of obesity prevention and treatment in practice.
- Join Eleanor Raffan for three 2-hour online sessions
- Comprehensive notes to downloaded
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- A whole year’s access to recorded sessions for reviewing key points (and in case you miss a live session!)
- Superb value for money – learn without travelling
- Watch the live events or the recordings on your iPad!
Session 1: Friday 4th November 2022 2pm-4pm (UK time)
Causes and consequences of obesity and why this matters
- Evidence for obesity as a genetic disease of disordered homeostasis
- Why reframing obesity like that is important to improve practical management
- Introduction to the nervous and hormonal control of energy balance and its implications for weight management
Understanding human behaviour – evidence-based tactics to improve owner compliance
- Understanding the role of humans in their pets’ weight gain
- Discussion of owners’ challenges in improving their pets’ weight management
- Using evidence-based tactics from human psychology to improve owner management of diet and exercise
Practical weight management of pet obesity
- The practicalities of designing a weight loss programme
- Practical tips and tricks to improve your effectiveness and that of owners you are helping
- Why preventing weight gain matters and practical ideas for how to improve this in your practice pet population
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
*overseas customers will not be charged VAT