MS166 Medicine on a Budget Mini Series
12 months access to recordings and course materials is included. Please note that these are webinar recordings and not live events. Full details on how to access the Mini Series will be emailed to you.
- Join Scott Kilpatrick BSc (Hons) MSc BVM&S Dip ECVIM-CA MRCVS for three 2-hour online sessions
- Comprehensive notes to downloaded
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- A whole year’s access to recorded sessions for reviewing key points
- Superb value for money – learn without travelling
- Watch the recordings on your iPad!
Renal disease: It requires concentration not money
This session will focus on how to get the most out of basic blood work and urine analysis. We will consider the best ways to image the kidneys, and whether kidney biopsies are always indication. During the session we will review the most up to date guidelines regarding the investigation and treatment of proteinuria. The use of antibiotics in renal disease will also be reviewed; prolonged courses of antibiotics can be expensive and may not always be indicated.
What you’ll learn:
- The best approach to patients with common renal diseases
- How to assess laboratory findings; understanding biochemistry and urine analysis
- How and when imaging the kidneys is useful
- A practical approach to proteinuria
- When to take kidney biopsies and how to interpret the results
- A considered approach to antibiotic use in renal diseases
“If you prick us, do we not bleed?” Coagulation disorders in small animals
Coagulation disorders are often considered complex and challenging. We will look at the first principals of coagulation to understand these disorders better. Coagulation testing may also be considered expensive so we will discuss the most appropriate tests to run and why… individual clotting factors are not always necessary! Coagulation abnormalities are still commonly seen in first opinion practice and we will discuss the best way to manage these cases.
What you’ll learn:
- Coagulation in cats and dogs: What tests and when?
- Assessment of laboratory and patient side assessment of coagulation
- Diagnosis and management of thrombocytopenia, thrombocytopathia and von Willibrand’s disease
- Secondary coagulation disorders – understanding and treating these conditions despite financial limitations
- Toxin ingestion and clotting consequences
- Plenty of case-based examples
Vomiting vs Regurgitation: Is it really that easy to tell?
Vomiting and regurgitation are some of the most common presenting signs seen in veterinary practice. Differentiation between these signs if vital. The investigation of regurgitation can be very rewarding and a logical approach is key to the understanding of this disorder. Inflammatory bowel disease is a diagnosis that is a histopathological diagnosis, but there are many steps and treatment trials to consider before biopsies are indicated.
What you’ll learn:
- A practical approach to localise gastrointestinal disease both anatomically and by likely cause
- How to investigate how to differentiate vomiting and regurgitation
- The challenges of managing regurgitation and swallowing disorders
- How we should diagnose and treat inflammatory bowel disease, especially when finances are limited
- Some more interesting cases
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
“This Mini Series has given me more confidence dealing with megoesophagus and regurgitation issues”
“Feel more confident when presented with bleeding case working out more logical cause /list of causes rather than just thinking of everything under the sun that could cause bleeding”
“Really logical work up procedure and treatment regimes for the regurgitation and vomiting section – most useful”
If you would prefer to reserve your place for 7 days whilst you arrange payment or check your commitments then click here
*overseas customers will not be charged VAT