MS079 – Feline Dentistry Mini-Series
12 months access to recordings and course materials is included. Please note that these are webinar recordings and not live events. Full details on how to access the Mini Series will be emailed to you.
- Join Dr Alex Smithson BVM&S MRCVS BDS(Hons) for three 2-hour sessions
- Comprehensive notes to download
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- 12 Months access to recorded sessions
- Watch the recordings on your iPad
- Superb value for money – learn without traffic jams or rota hassles
- This Mini Series was originally broadcast in January 2015
Oral and Dental Examination and Investigation
Session 1 ensures a thorough introduction to feline dentistry. Sound knowledge of oral and dental anatomy forms the basis upon which understanding of disease and treatment is built upon throughout the lectures.
- Dental and oral anatomy
- Relevance to treatment and disease
- Performing a thorough oral and dental examination in practice
- Identifying health and normality accurately
- Investigative procedures including dental x-ray
- Resorptive lesions
- Periodontal disease
- Indications for extraction and alternative treatment
FCGS and Analgesia
The second session focuses on the approach to and treatment of frustrating and difficult cases such as FCGS and FOPS to assist your decision-making. We’ll explain pain assessment and techniques for analgesia, including the benefits of local analgesia.
- Approach to FCG cases
- Treatment options and prognosis for FCGS
- Surgery vs medicine – which should you choose?
- Painful lesions
- Oro-facial pain syndromes
- Analgesia – protocols and regimes
- Local analgesic techniques
In the final session of the series we’ll explain when to adopt which extraction technique and why for both common and difficult cases. We’ll also explore methods to assess cases and prevent complications. Guidance on what to do in the case of complication will aid all vets in practice.
- Extraction technique options, benefits and complications
- Equipment choice
- Closed extraction technique
- Surgical extraction technique
- Preventing extraction complications
- How to choose the most appropriate technique
- Atomisation versus coronal amputation
- Resorptive lesions
- Ankylosis and root remnants
- Lip-trapping and oronasal communications and fistulae
“Great presentation. Less stress for surgeon and less pain for patients”
“Improved approach to dentistry, more confidence in performing procedures which I was not taught at college such as nerve blocks and surgical extractions”
“Excellent coverage of feline dentistry, approach to each condition and on extraction techniques and what to do in the event of complications. Very well detailed, Alex Smithson explained everything in detail and in easy to relay terms that can be used to discuss with owners without causing confusion”
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
*overseas customers will not be charged VAT