MS064 – Dentistry for Veterinary Nurses Mini Series
12 months access to recordings and course materials is included. Please note that these are webinar recordings and not live events. Full details on how to access the Mini Series will be emailed to you.
- Join Dr Alex Smithson BVM&S MRCVS BDS(Hons) for three 2-hour sessions
- Comprehensive notes to download
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- 12 Months access to recorded sessions
- Superb value for money – learn without traffic jams or rota hassles
- This Mini Series was originally broadcast in May 2014
What’s Normal and What’s Not: Assessing Dental Cases
Session 1 ensures a thorough introduction to veterinary dentistry. A good understanding of oral and dental anatomy forms the basis upon which knowledge of disease and treatments is then built upon throughout each lecture.
- Dental and oral anatomy
- Relevance to treatment and disease
- Performing a thorough oral and dental examination in practice
- Identifying health and normality accurately
- Dental trauma
- Dental diseases in the dog
- Dental diseases in the cat
- Bite assessment and abnormalities
- Disease related to oral soft tissues
Periodontal Disease: the Hidden Epidemic in Your Practice
The second session focuses on periodontal disease. This is the most common disease seen in any of our patients – all patients require preventive care and the majority already suffer disease to some degree. It is essential to fully understand periodontal disease, recognise the different forms and to be aware of how to approach these cases for success.
- What is periodontal disease?
- Gingivitis – what is it and why?
- Periodontitis – how does this occur and how does it differ from gingivitis
- Severity assessment
- Local effects and distant disease
- What’s painful?
- Preventing gingivitis and periodontitis
- Effective treatment of periodontal disease
- Treatment options for different cases
- Monitor of periodontal disease cases
- What works and what doesn’t
- VN clinics
Advancing the Service and Improving Care
The final session of the series enables you to consider treatment options and more advanced techniques for patients. It consolidates the knowledge from session 1 and 2 to enable a thorough and holistic approach to immediate and long-term care of patients.
- Equipment choice, care and considerations
- Intra-oral radiography – role, benefits, equipment and technique introduction
- Treatment techniques – treatment options available
- Advanced equipment and techniques – restorations, root canal therapy etc
- Set-up for dentistry cases
- Differing patient needs, care and set-up
- Analgesia and comfort of the patient – multimodal approaches
- Local analgesia
- Support and monitor of patients with oral and dental disease
“Easy to use great course notes, good speaker. I will try to integrate things that have been suggested into practice so the nurse team can do more”
“The course notes to be able to go back and read through where really useful, these sessions have given me a better understanding of dentistry work”
“I particularly liked the section on periodontitis and the thorough description of the pathophysiology, which can help in explanation to clients for what is happening in the disease process. I liked how guidelines for what to extract and what not to extract was provided based on the measurements taken”
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
*overseas customers will not be charged VAT