1708 Surgical Skills for Nurses (November 2021)
18th November 2021 Studley, Warwickshire
Veterinary nurses play a key role in the preparation of patients for surgery, the running of theatres and during patient management in the post-operative period. They are also permitted to perform minor surgical procedures under veterinary direction and doing so can be hugely rewarding whilst assisting the efficient flow of a surgical list.
This course will provide you with an overview of how to prepare a patient for surgery, how to apply key surgical principles to optimise tissue healing and considerations for nursing the post-operative patient. The lectures will include a step-by-step guide to performing the surgical techniques listed below and there will be an opportunity to practice all of these techniques listed below and there will be the opportunity to practice all of these techniques in wet lab practical sessions.
- Use of surgical instruments
- Suture patterns and materials
- Knot tying
- Use of skin staples and tissue adhesive
- Fine needle aspiration and biopsy techniques for skin lesions
- Simple skin mass excision
- Open wound management
- How to apply tie-over wound dressings
- Indications for surgical drains, how to use them and how to secure them
Tutor : Faye Swinbourne BVM&S MVetMed DipECVS MRCVS
This course is kindly sponsored by Veterinary Instrumentation
If you would prefer to reserve your place for 7 days whilst you arrange payment or check your commitments then click here